Apply Today!   or call   1.800.667.2623
Carlton Trail Logo
Enrol Today Logo
0 items
Enrol Today Logo
Enrol Today Logo
Enrol Today Logo

Tax Information for Students

The T2202A (Tuition and Education Amounts Certificate) is an official income tax receipt issued by qualifying educational institutions for tuition, education and textbook tax credits that can be claimed on a personal income tax return. Tuition and fees reported on a T2202A must exceed $100 and must relate to a course at the post-secondary level, or to training taken to obtain or enhance skills in an occupation. 

It will be mailed to your address on record no later than the end of February each year for the preceding taxation (calendar) year.  If you have not paid your tuition and fees in accordance with the stated timelines, the reporting of those unpaid amounts on your T2202A will be delayed.  If you move, please contact us as soon as possible so that we can update your student file and send your T2202A to the correct address.

The T2202A identifies the amount of eligible tuition and fees that were paid in the preceding tax (January to December) year, not the standard school year (September to June), as well as the number of months of full-time or part-time attendance.  Amounts are pro-rated for programs or courses that start and end in different calendar years.  The months reported on the T2202A are for each whole or part month in the calendar year you were enrolled as a full-time or part-time student.  For part-time status, you must have attended at least three consecutive weeks for at least 12 hours of instruction per month. 

The total amount of tuition and fees paid may not necessarily correspond to your T2202A because not all tuition and fees are tax deductible.  A T2202A only reports “eligible fees”, not all fees that have been paid.   Therefore, the T2202A will typically be less than the actual amount paid as non-tuition related fees such as Student Association fees are not eligible. Tuition amounts do not include books, student fees or printed materials. 

The T2202A is always issued in the name of the student registered for classes at Carlton Trail College.  CRA regulations generally do not permit individuals to claim educational amounts where a benefit, grant, allowance or reimbursement of tuition was received, however, a T2202A may still be issued in some scenarios and it is the student’s responsibility to ensure their tax eligibility.  Carlton Trail College’s staff is not able to provide income tax advice.  In-depth questions regarding the use of the T2202A in the tax preparation process should be directed to the CRA or to an independent tax professional.

Tax information for students may be found on the Canada Revenue Agency website.

If you have any questions or if you require additional information, please contact...

Carlton Trail College